BICOL, January 5, 2022 – Forty-six (46) farmer associations (FA) from Sorsogon, Masbate, and Catanduanes receive Php 2.2 million worth of inputs for value-adding under the Enterprise Development Project of the Department of Agriculture – Special Area for Agricultural Development (DA-SAAD) Program.
The DA-SAAD distributed various cooking sets, measuring cups, equipment, and other ingredients for their value-adding activity.
The program provided the package worth Php 925,000 to 25 FAs from Sta. Magdalena, Matnog, Pilar, Donsol, Juban and Magallanes in Sorsogon namely:
- Binanuahan Farmers’ Association,
- Bacolod Farmers’ Association,
- Añog Farmers’ Association,
- Buraburan Farmers’ Association,
- San Roque Crop Grower Association,
- San Eugenio Vegetable Farmers’ Association,
- Salvacion Vegetable Growers Association,
- La Esperanza Parauma Farmers’ Association,
- Sisigon Farmers’ Association,
- Samahang Magsasaka sa Kaunlaran ng Pange,
- Cabagahan Farmers’ Association,
- Pawa Farmers’ Association,
- Maralitang Magsasaka Association,
- Comapo-capo Integrated Farmers’ Association,
- Bayawas Farmers’ Association,
- Esperanza Farmers’ Association,
- Poctol Backyard Farmers’ Association,
- Gimagaan Indigenous People Farmers’ Association,
- Sibago Indigenous People Farmers Association,
- Tres Marias Drive Vegetable Growers Association,
- Sitio Paningquilon Farmers Association,
- Cagbolo Farmers’ Association,
- Caditaan Farmers’ Association,
- Tula-Tula Norte Farmers’ Association, and
- Sta Elena Farmers’ Association.
One of the recipients in Sorsogon, Vice President Lea Villanueva of Sisigon Farmers’ Associations, expressed her gratitude to the program.
“Maraming salamat sa inyo SAAD, maraming natulungan hindi lang dito sa kitchenware, pati sa nga tools at abono na pinapakinabangan namin. Makakabenta na kami ng mga produkto tulad ng empanada, kalabasa molido at madami pang iba (Thank you so much SAAD. Many of us are benefiting not only with the kitchenware but also with the tools and fertilizers. We can now sell products such as empanada, squash molido and many more),” she said.
Rice Coordinator Elsa Blonquisco and HVC Coordinator Marites Rebellon of LGU Pilar also showed their support to the farmers and the program by attending the turnover of interventions to Pilar FAs.
During the distribution in Donsol, Municipal Agriculturist Lindez Espada shared, “Ngana po, baga man sana kita nanggana sa lotto. Sana ubos na biyaya na pigatao kan SAAD, mapahalagahan nindo. Maogmahon sa pagmati ta dakulong kagamitan ang nag-abot para sa pupunan nindong pagbenta. Tinawan kamo nin puhunan, ang dapat tang gibuhon ay mapalago para kita ay umasenso.”
(Today, it’s like we just won the lottery. I hope that we would give value to all of these interventions given by SAAD. I am feeling happy to see the kitchenware that you will be using for your enterprise. Now that we already have capital, all we have to do is to make this grow so that we can prosper.)
Meanwhile, in Catanduanes, 15 FAs from Gigmoto, Bato, San Miguel, Baras, Bagamanoc, and Panganiban also benefited from various cooking sets, measuring cups, equipment, and other ingredients worth Php 937,200. The associations were:
- Sioron High-Value Commercial Farmers Association (SHVCFA),
- San Pedro Farmers Association (SPFA),
- Gigmoto San Vicente SAAD Farmers Association (GSVSAADFA),
- San Roque Vegetable Association (SRVA),
- San Marcos Vegetable Farmers Association,
- Tobrehon Vegetable Farmers Association,
- JMA Tucao Vegetable Farmers Association,
- San Miguel SAAD Vegetable Farmers Association,
- SAAD San Roque Planters Association,
- Suchan Vegetable Farmers Association,
- San Miguel Farm Workers Association,
- Salvacion Farmers Association,
- Cabuyoan High-Value Crops Association,
- Kilikilihan Vegetable Farmers Association, and
- Balatohan Vegetable Farmers Association.
Clarissa Mendoza, member of recipient association, shared, “Kami po San Vicente Gigmoto SAAD Farmers Association ay taos pusong nagpapasalamat sa SAAD sa inyong walang sawang tulong at suporta na ibinibigay sa aming mga farmers. Mula noon hanggang sa kasalukuyan ramdam namin ang inyong pagpapahalaga at walang sawang suporta. Maraming maraming salamat po SAAD. God bless po.”
(We, the San Vicente Gigmoto SAAD Farmers Association extend our heartfelt gratitude to SAAD, for your unwavering support given to the farmers. From the beginning up to this day, we feel valued and supported. Thank you very much SAAD. God bless.)
In Masbate, the following 6 FAs from Mandaon, Balud, San Pascual, Monreal, Esperanza, and Pio V. Corpus received the package worth Php 374,800:
- Samahang Pangkaunlaran ng Tagpu at Nanipsan (SAPANGTANAN),
- Nagkakaisang Mamamayan Tungo sa Kaunlaran – Panubigan (NAMATUKA-Panubigan),
- San Pedro Vegetable Growers Organization (SPVGO),
- Maglambong-Cantorna, Monreal Fruits and Vegetable Farmers’ Association (MAGCAMOFAVEFA),
- San Roque Vegetable Growers Association (SRVGA), and
- Lampuyang Fruits and Vegetable Growers Association (LFVGA).
The farmers enhanced their production by processing foods such as pickled papaya, ampalaya, and other vegetables, squash crackers, ube puto, shakoy, peanut butter, squash yema, donut, and squash kropek.
They also plan on producing more products such as squash molido, squash puto, tomato jam, and squash brittle out of their harvest to address concerns on the oversupply of farm produce during off-season.
Regional Dairy Production and Technology Center Superintendent Engr. Agnes Espinola joined the SAAD Sorsogon staff in the distribution of intervention while Agricultural Program Coordinating Officer (APCO) for Catanduanes Rafael Magallanes also participated in the distribution of intervention Catanduanes FAs.
The project further opens enterprising opportunities to the farmers, most of whom are engaged in vegetable production as they already have initial knowledge in food processing acquired through the training on enterprise development conducted by the DA-SAAD throughout the year. ###
Angelica A. Blanco, RPMSO Information Officer
Pauline Trixia D. Borja, SAAD Sorsogon Information Officer
Melrose B. Buetre, SAAD Catanduanes Provincial Coordinator
Engr. Angineth SC. Salcedo, SAAD-HVCDP Technical Staff
Photo Source: PPMSO Sorsogon, Catanduanes, and Masbate